Learning To Be A Manager Can Be Difficult, So Let’s Start Talking About It.

Learning to manage people can be difficult. It’s something that a lot of people experience, but few actually talk about.

Maybe it’s because we don’t want to admit we need help if we’ve been newly promoted, or maybe it’s just that we think we’ll pick it up over time, but no matter the reason, developing the skills to effectively manage someone can be a tricky situation to navigate.

A lot of the time, there seems to be an expectation that people can naturally manage employees, when in reality only 13% of people promoted to management already have the skills to be an effective leader. This doesn’t mean that the other 87% won’t make fantastic managers, but rather that certain aspects of the role (such as delegation, conflict resolution, etc) need to be worked on.

We spoke to some people in management and supervisor positions about this, here’s what they had to say:

“For me, delegation has always been the most difficult part, especially if you’ve ‘come up through the ranks’ as it were, because it’s hard to go from working alongside someone to managing them”.

Another manager felt “it can be tricky to establish the right tone with your team when you were friendly or quite informal with them before your promotion, which sometimes makes managers be too stern to counteract this”.

Making the transition from co-worker to manager is something that crops up most often during our training sessions. The progression of the working relationship can be uncomfortable for some and, as these managers has mentioned, can lead to striking the wrong tone with your team.

The best way to ease this transition can often be to brush up on your management skills. Every person on your team will respond best to different methods of management, so knowing what those are and how to effectively deploy them can help you start on the right foot.

Continuous professional development is as important when you reach a managerial level as it is for a trainee or intern and it’s what makes the difference between a good manager and a truly great manager. So, whether you’ve been in a leadership role for a month, or a year, or even a decade, you should always be looking for ways to improve your techniques to maximize team engagement.

To this same aim, if you’re a business owner, talk to your managers. Find out what they would like to work on and encourage them to do so.  Developing your managers will have positive benefits for the entirety of your business, including higher workforce morale, lower employee turnover and increased productivity.

 

Back to home

Contact Us

We’re here to listen to your HR needs

Get in touch with our knowledgeable team today to find out how a partnership with Amica HR can benefit your business and team. Call us on 01522 370190 or 020 7110 0006, or use the contact form.