13 top tips on how to retain your best employees
13 top tips on how to retain your best employees:
- Selecting the right people in the first place through behaviour-based testing and competency screening will pay off in the long term. The right person, in the right seat, on the right bus is the starting point.
- Offer an attractive, competitive, benefits package, for example child care vouchers, career breaks, employee assistance programmes, dental insurance and flexible hours.
- Give employees the opportunity to share their knowledge through training sessions, presentations, mentoring others and assignments.
- Be a role model and always respect employees. Listen to them intently; use their ideas; never ridiculing or shaming them.
- Offer performance feedback and praise good efforts and results.
- Make work enjoyable by using individual’s special talents.
- Enable employees to balance work and life. Allow flexible starting times, core business hours and flexible ending times.
- Involve employees in decisions that affect their jobs and the overall direction of the company whenever possible.
- Recognise and celebrate success. Mark their passage as important goals are achieved.
- Ensure you have enough staff, so overtime is minimised for those who don't want it and employees don't wear themselves out.
- Provide opportunities within the company for cross-training and career progression. Employees like to know that they have room for career movement.
- Provide the opportunity for career and personal growth through training and education, challenging assignments etc.
- Communicate goals, roles, and responsibilities so employees know what is expected and feel that their contribution is valued.